A password keeps your devices and accounts secure from unauthorized access. While it is good to have a password on your personal devices, forgetting them after setting up is just like a nightmare. We have seen thousands of people out there who set up a Windows password and then forgot it. The Windows OS will not let you log back into the device without typing the password again, so beware of it if you are not good at remembering passwords. You can either write down your password somewhere or use a PIN as a password when you change Windows 11 task bar color. Well, if you are in the same situation and want to change Microsoft password, then you have landed on the correct page.
Here in this post, we are going to tell you about some of the best methods to change password Windows 11 in 2022. While there are some tools and services available out there that claim to change Windows 11 password, we do not recommend using them. You can always follow the Microsoft change password methods to get it done yourself. Doesn’t matter if you have forgotten the Windows password and you are locked out of it or you want to reset Windows 11 password. We have all of these questions covered in this post, so don’t forget to read it till the end if you want to know how to change your password on Windows 11 PC for free.
- Also Read About: How To Increase Windows 11 Performance
How To Change Password In Windows 11 [8 Working Methods]
Method #1. Using The Settings App
One of the easiest methods to change the Windows 11 account password is by using the Settings app. The revamped Windows version has everything you need to configure your Windows right in the Settings app. Here’s how you can do it:
- Click on the Start button to open the menu.
- Type “Password” or “Change Your Password”.
- Click on the first option that appears after typing.
- You will be taken directly to Accounts -> Sign-in Options.
- Now, click on the Password option, then click on the Change button.
- You will be asked to enter your Current Password.
- Enter it and then enter New Password along with a Hint.
- Once done, click on Finish and your account password will be changed.
Method #2. From CTRL+ALT+DEL Menu
If you have been trying to change Windows 11 password then another quick way to access the option is by going to the CTRL+ALT+DEL menu. Just press these 3 keys altogether and click on the Change A Password option. A new screen will appear on your screen with fields to enter your Old Password and New Password. Once done, click on the Arrow icon and your password will be changed successfully.
- Also Read About: Increase Torrent Download Speed
Method #3. Using Command Prompt
Command Prompt in Windows comes with many advantages and advanced options that can help you in customizing and changing your Windows settings. You can run a simple command in the CMD window and it will execute the command to change your account’s password. Here’s how you can use it:
- Click on the Start button and type CMD.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt option and select Run As Administrator.
- A CMD window will appear on your screen. Simply type “net user” and press Enter.
- To change the password of the desired user, enter the command mentioned below:
net user USERNAME NEWPASSWORD
NOTE: In this command, USERNAME is the account’s username you want to change the password of and the NEWPASSWORD is the password you want to set for the account. For example, if your Windows username is Marshall-PC and you want to set its password to BigCat999, then you will have to enter this:
net user Marshall-PC BigCat999
Method #4. By Executing ‘netplwiz’ Command
When none of the methods mentioned above has worked for you, then you can use the netplwiz command to access the list of User Accounts on your machine. This method comes in handy when you don’t remember the current password of your Windows account and want to reset it again. To use this method, start following the steps mentioned below:
- Press Windows Key + R to open the RUN box.
- Type ‘netplwiz’ (without quotes) and press Enter.
- A pop-up with a list of user accounts will appear on your screen.
- Select the account of which you want to reset the password and click on the Reset Password button.
- A new box will appear on your screen to enter the New Password and click on OK to reset its password.
Also Read: How To Fix 100% Disk Usage In Windows
Method #5. From Control Panel
Even though the Settings app has replaced the default Control Panel on Windows, it is still useful as you can reset your Windows 11 password using Control Panel without any issues. It is a very easy method and the steps are the same as the older version of Windows. Here’s how you can use it:
- Open Control Panel and change the View By option to Category.
- Now, click on Change Account Type under User Accounts.
- Click on the User for which you want to change the password.
- Click on Change The Password option and a new page will appear on your screen.
- Enter the New Password for the account along with a Password Hint.
- Once done, click on the Change Password button and your password will be changed.
Method #6. Using Computer Management
Computer Management is a Windows app that comes built in with every version of Windows. You can use this app to manage almost everything on your PC, including the accounts and their passwords.
- Open the Start menu and type “computer management” (without quotes) and click on the first search result.
- A new window will appear on your screen.
- Use the left pane to extend the Local Users and Groups option and then click on the Users folder.
- On the right side, a list of all users of that system will appear.
- Right-click on any user to change its password and click on the Set Password option.
- If you get any pop-up, click on Proceed and enter New Password for that account.
- Finally, click on OK and your password will be changed successfully.
- Also Read: How To Fix USB Device Not Recognized
Method #7. Answer The Security Questions
While setting up your Windows 11 password, if you have entered security questions then you can use them to reset your password. It is also an easy method to reset Windows 11 password when you forgot your password. Here’s how you can follow this method:
- Go to the Windows sign-in page and enter any random password.
- When you have entered the wrong password, Windows will give you an option to Reset Password.
- Click on the Reset Password link and you will be asked to answer the security questions.
- Enter the answers correctly and then you can enter a new password for your local Windows 11 account.
Method #8. Reinstall Windows 11
These were some of the working methods to do Windows 11 password reset and if none of them has worked for you, then you can re-install the Windows to get rid of everything. You can either make a bootable USB or reset your current Windows settings to default. Sometimes, Windows might ask you to enter the password when you try to reset its settings, so it is better to reinstall the Windows. You can use tools like Rufus to create a bootable USB of Windows 11. We have posted a guide on how to check Windows 11 version installed on your machine, so you can download Windows 11 ISO of the same version and get a whole new experience of using Windows 11.
So, this is how to change password in Windows 11 and we hope you were able to reset Windows password by following the methods mentioned in this post. There are quite a few more methods available for changing Windows username and password but we recommend sticking with the methods mentioned here because they are safe and working pretty fine.
We are constantly looking for more ways to reset password in Windows 11, so keep visiting Inframatics to know about them. If you know about any other working method to change Windows 11 local account password or facing any issues in following any method mentioned here, free free to contact us.