Windows is definitely one of the most popular operating systems around the world. More than 88% of the PCs around the world are running on Windows OS. It is very easy to use and flexible, that is why most of the people prefer using it over other OS for PC and laptops. If you are using Windows OS then you might already know about the awesome features like edit GIF images without Photoshop and options it offers to its users. Even though Windows is very popular, there are many issues with it. Microsoft has announced officially that Windows 10 will be their last operating system and they will keep releasing updates for it to make it better and secure than ever. If you are using a Windows-based laptop or desktop, then you too might be facing some issues with it. One common problem among the Windows users is that the Windows taskbar doesn’t hide automatically.
Windows 10 taskbar, not hiding problem is not new, and it has always been there since Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. It doesn’t matter which Windows version you are using, bottom taskbar won’t hide issue can occur on any device. Though this problem is not very big and can be solved easily by enabling and disabling some settings. We have seen a lot of people are searching for methods to fix taskbar not hiding automatically error on their Windows, so we thought to post about it on this blog. You must remember that this problem is not caused by a single program or setting but it depends on the user’s device. Some Windows users are facing taskbar won’t hide in-game while some are getting taskbar not hiding in remote desktop.
Whatever is your reason there are numerous ways available by which you can solve your taskbar is not hiding problems easily. Here in this post, we are going to tell you everything about why the Windows taskbar not hiding problem occurs and how you can fix it yourself. You don’t have to download any kind of tool or program to fix the taskbar not hiding in fullscreen video problem since this issue is from the Windows side and not because of any third-party program. Beware of fake tools or programs that might claim to fix your taskbar won’t go away problem and use only the methods we have mentioned in this post.
- Also Read About: Free MP3 Download Sites
Why My Taskbar Won’t Hide?
If you know how to hide taskbar in Windows 10/8.1/7, then you can enable the settings to do so. Sometimes, third-party tools or software installed in your system can stop the taskbar from hiding automatically. The settings you’ve enabled in the Windows will be overtaken by those programs and Windows will not take any action to hide the taskbar. Reasons can be different for each as different programs and settings can cause this problem. Before you do anything with your system to fix this issue, you must be sure about the settings that hide the taskbar. You can re-check those settings and restart your computer after enabling them to see if that works. If not, then you can always follow the methods we have mentioned here to fix task bar won’t hide Windows 10/8.1/7 problem.
Verify Taskbar Not Auto-Hiding Settings
Before you do anything or follow any method we have mentioned below to solve Windows 10 taskbar won’t hide problem, just verify your taskbar settings. Here is how you can cross-check the settings to see if you have done everything correctly with your system. Just follow the steps mentioned below and you will be able to hide the taskbar by-default in Windows. If you don’t get success then you can follow other methods mentioned here.
- First of all, Right-Click on the taskbar and click on Taskbar Settings.
- Alternatively, you can also navigate to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar.
- Enable both options mentioned below.
Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode.
Automatically hide the taskbar in tablet mode.
These options will allow you to hide the taskbar in desktop and tablet mode respectively. After enabling them, if your taskbar hides automatically, then you are good to go. Though if your taskbar doesn’t hide automatically, then you will have to follow some other methods that we have mentioned below in this post.
How To Fix Taskbar Not Hiding Windows 10/8.1/7
Restart Windows Explorer
The best method to fix the taskbar won’t hide Windows 7/8.1/10 problem is by restarting the Windows Explorer app itself. This usually fixes the problem in one go because killing the explorer process will kill all background running apps as well. This will help Windows to work with the setting that is configured by the user. You can either use the Task Manager to do that or the CMD. Here is how you can restart the Windows Explorer in both ways:
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to open the Task Manager.
- If you see only the basic details, then click on More Details.
- Scroll down and locate the Windows Explorer in the Processes tab.
- Click on Windows Explorer and then click on the Restart button from the bottom-right corner.
- Alternatively, you can also Right-Click on the Windows Explorer and select Restart from the menu.
If you want to use the Command Prompt for this, then you can build a .BAT executable script to do that automatically. Here is how you can restart the Windows Explorer using the CMD:
- First of all, press Windows Key + R to open the RUN box.
- Type CMD in it and press Enter.
- Command Prompt window will appear on your screen.
- Type: taskkill /im explorer.exe /f and press Enter.
- Now type Start Explorer.exe and press Enter.
- Lastly, type Exit and press Enter.
Disable Hardware Acceleration In Browsers
You might have browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, Vivaldi, Safari, etc. installed in your Windows device. In some cases, people may have all of them installed on a single PC. It doesn’t matter if you have one among them or all of them, if you have enabled “hardware acceleration” in them, then you need to disable it. Those who are complaining of the taskbar not hiding during fullscreen will be able to solve this problem by disabling the hardware acceleration from the web browsers.
We have added the steps to disable hardware acceleration in the Google Chrome browser and you can follow these steps in other browsers too. Also, you can consider this fix when NVIDIA Control Panel Missing from your system. Settings are almost the same in every web browser for Windows, so just follow the steps mentioned below to disable it.
- Open Google Chrome browser’s Menu and click on Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Advanced.
- Now scroll down and find System Settings.
- Under that, you will find the “Use Hardware Acceleration When Available” option.
- If it is enabled, the toggle the button to Disable it.
- Relaunch your web browser to make changes to it.
- Now, your taskbar won’t hide Windows 8.1 problem will be solved.
Use The F11 Keyboard Shortcut
Keyboards come really handy when you want to do something specific on your system. It doesn’t matter if you have a mouse or not, if you have a keyboard, you can get the work done. If you are also searching for reasons why won’t my taskbar hide? then here we’ve got a simple solution for you. You don’t have to be a tech geek or make changes to your system in this method. If you are aware of the basic shortcut keys on the Windows operating system then you can take advantage of them to hide the taskbar in fullscreen mode.
This means those who are facing the problem of the taskbar won’t hide VLC fullscreen will be able to hide their taskbar by using the Windows shortcut keys. If you are using VLC or other media players, then you can press F11 key to make your device play the video in fullscreen mode. Sometimes you may need to press Function Key + F11 or CTRL + F11 to hide the taskbar.
Disable Background Apps or Notifications
If you have some apps like Skype, Spotify, Internet Download Manager, etc. that keeps running in the background, even then you will face the taskbar won’t hide Windows 10 problem. The reason behind this is when these apps keep running in the background, they stop the taskbar from hiding because notifications won’t get displayed to the user when the taskbar is hidden. You can see these apps in the System Tray icon and disable them accordingly to fix this problem easily. Here is how you can disable these icons to get displayed in the system tray.
- First of all, Right-Click on the Taskbar.
- Click on Taskbar Settings, the Settings app will open.
- Scroll down to Notification Area settings.
- Click on Select Which Icons Appear On The Taskbar.
- Now, you can toggle the Always Show All Icons In The Notification Area to Off.
- This will display all icons on the Taskbar itself and my taskbar won’t hide the problem will be solved instantly.
Check The Group Policy Settings
The Group Policy Editor of your system can also be the reason behind the taskbar not hiding and that is why you must fix Firefox not working properly on your system. If you are not sure about the settings then you can check them to see if they are creating the problem or not. If you are using a shared PC then there are chances that some other people or administrator of your device has disabled the setting to hide the Windows taskbar. Just follow the steps mentioned below to find out if the Group Policy Settings is causing a problem with your taskbar or not.
- Press Windows Key + R to open the RUN box.
- Type gpedit.msc in it and press Enter.
- Navigate to “User Configuration\Administrative Tools\Start Menu and Task Bar.”
- In the right pane, scroll down and search for “Lock All Task Bar Settings.”
- Double-click on the entry to open settings for it.
- A pop-up will appear on your screen with three options on the left.
- If Enabled is selected then check Disabled and click on Apply Button.
- Enable will lock all of the settings to make changes to your taskbar.
Taskbar Is Not Hiding: Search Button Trick
Windows 10 taskbar is one of the most powerful taskbars Windows OS has ever. You can take advantage of the taskbar itself to hide it. If you are facing a problem like a taskbar won’t hide in fullscreen then you can use the search button of the Windows taskbar to fix Windows 10 taskbar not hiding issue easily. Many users have reported that Windows 10 search not working trick worked for them and you can try it too. Just because we are mentioning it at the last doesn’t mean it is not better than other methods mentioned above. Just follow the steps mentioned below, and you will be able to hide the Windows taskbar easily without any further settings and changes to your system.
- Click on the Search Button on the taskbar.
- If you have Search Box, then click on it.
- When Search Window pop-ups on the screen, click anywhere on the Desktop.
- Once the search pop-up will disappear, the taskbar will hide automatically.
If you don’t have a search feature enabled, then right-click on the Taskbar and click on Search. Then select Show Search Icon or Show Search Box.
So this is all about how to fix the taskbar not hiding on Windows 10/8.1/7 and we hope you are able to get rid of this problem by following the methods mentioned above. There are many people out there who are facing the taskbar won’t hide YouTube/Netflix and if you are among them, even then you can follow the methods we have mentioned in this post. There are many methods available out there to fix taskbar not auto-hiding problem, but the solutions we have provided above work best among all.
We will keep this post updated with more methods about how to hide taskbar in Windows 10, so keep visiting Inframatics to know about them. Do not download or use any kind of third-party app or tool to fix the Windows taskbar won’t hide problem as they can cause more issues to your system. If you are facing any issues in following any method or you have any questions related to them, then you can ask us about them via the comments below.